Your Home Moving Checklist
Here is a comprehensive moving checklist to help ensure your stress-free move. We all know moving can be stressful especially when it means moving long-distance or international. We want to help you prepare so that your experience is a safe, successful move, especially with professional movers.
Moving checklist infographic
This relocation moving checklist provides timelines and moving tips to help you stay organized and stress-free throughout the whole process. Check out our infographic that contains some simple and smart tips to prepare you for moving day.
4-8 WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- As soon as you know you are moving, reserve a moving company. If you need packing assistance, American Moving can also pack and unpack your house, apartment, or condo for you.
- Visit American Moving to purchase necessary moving boxes and packing supplies.
- Start to clean out closets, the garage, and attic and host a garage sale or donate your unwanted things to charity.
- Change your address online or get a change of address card from your local post office.
- Make a list and notify organizations of your change of address such as magazines, charge accounts, insurance companies, clubs, friends, and family.
- If you have school aged kids, arrange to transfer school records.
3 WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Decide if you would like professional packing assistance such as American Moving Professional packing service or if you will pack your cartons
- If you decided to pack yourself, start packing and labeling all the boxes
- Make a survival closet of the items you will need last out and first into your new home
- Compile all personal records
- Schedule to disconnect your utilities such as gas, electric, water, cable, and the internet after your move-out day.
- Schedule to connect all your utilities the day before your scheduled move-in day.
2 WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Plan to use all the food in your refrigerator and freezer. You can donate your non-perishables through Move for Hunger and we can help.
- Clear basement and attics completely and decide what to move.
- Cancel delivery services such as newspapers.
- Dispose of all flammables, cleaners, paints, aerosols, ammunition, etc.
- Drain the oil and gasoline from your lawn mower, and other power tools if they are to be moved
- Be sure that you have packed everything in advance.
ONE WEEK BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Make sure that American Moving has your contact phone numbers for the day of the move
- Empty and clean your refrigerator and freezer, clean your stove, etc.
- Only use the household items that you’ll need on move in day, such as sheets, towels, a few pans and dishes. Make sure everything else is ready to be moved.
- Pack your suitcase and day of the move box with all necessary essentials to get you through the next few days in case you don’t get to unpacking right away.
- Do one last walk-through once the van is loaded to make sure nothing was left in closets, basement, attic, cabinets, drawers, etc.
- Greet the movers at your new home and review the move with your American Moving team of experts
- Inspect your items as they are unloaded and note if there are any damaged items.